Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jewelry Wrap: No Sew Project

Joseph and I have our own business with Premier Designs, a wonderful high fashion jewelry company. Our incentive for someone who hosts a jewelry party is one of our petite tennis bracelets. I've been carrying them around in one of those plastic craft/jewelry boxes. I've been thinking recently about purchasing some sort of roll-up jewelry travel case for them. I decided today that I would at least attempt to make something on my own before I purchased one. I had everything I needed already, so it wasn't really going to cost me anything to try. So far, it seems like my project was a success, but we'll see if it ends up in the file with the clock that doesn't work (oh, yeah - my clock doesn't work - I am determined to figure out why it's so finicky!)

Materials Needed:
  • linen dish towel (I purchased mine at Dollar Tree)
  • thin ribbon (1/8 inch?)
  • thicker ribbon (3/4 inch to 1 inch)
  • no sew hem stuff
  • iron
  • hot glue

I started by ironing the dish towel. I bought it a while back, so I ironed it on both sides to smooth out the creases it had from being folded for so long.

Judging by this photo, you'd think I REALLY like pink, but I promise I'm not super froo-froo and dressed in pink all the time.

I also folded it in half and ironed along the folded edge, for two reasons: 1) I didn't need it to be the full length of a standard dish towel, and 2) I wanted it to be a little thicker so it would be a little more sturdy.


I used the no sew hem to seal the "open" edges. I wasn't sure if it would work or not, but I placed two pieces of ribbon (that would become the tie closure) between the two layers of fabric before I ironed the no sew hem. It sort of worked. I added a little hot glue for extra reinforcement.

Once all the edges were fused together, I added the top and bottom pieces of ribbon using hot glue on each end. The thin piece of ribbon is thin enough that I can clasp the bracelets onto it. The thicker ribbon is to help the bracelets stay in place. I just slide the bottom of each bracelet under the ribbon. After I started adding the bracelets, I decided to add an extra dab of hot glue in the center of each ribbon for added stability.



This is what the jewelry wrap looks like when I roll it up.



This is the other side where I tied the ribbon. I made it so there are two pieces of ribbon. I wrap them in opposite directions and then tie a loose knot.




This is what it looks like with the bracelets in it. I think it will hold about 40 tennis bracelets. In case you're curious, I fold the wrap in thirds. I fold the left side over to the middle, then the right side over to the middle, so that it overlaps. Then I fold from top to bottom twice. If you try something like this, you may choose to fold it in a different manner. This just seems to work for me.


I like this project because it was another project where I had everything on hand (I had purchased the dish towel and the thick ribbon for other projects that I never attempted, and I had the thin ribbon and no sew hem as well). Even if I had gone out and purchased the dish towel and ribbon, this would have been a very inexpensive project. The no sew hem would have been the most expensive item, and I only used a small amount of it, probably the equivalent of hemming one pair of pants. A roll of no sew hem lasts a while, and I highly recommend keeping a stock of it. :O)

Disclaimer: This started as an actual sewing project. I had my sewing machine out, and I actually attempted to sew the edges together. The thread kept breaking, and I grew frustrated. Then the no-sew project was born.







2 comments:

  1. What is "no sew hem" and where do you get it? I could use that for my ribboning projects. How does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ironable hem. It's on a roll kind of like ribbon. You cut it to the size you need and place it between the fabric. After ironing it for a few seconds, it bonds the fabric together. I've only used it for hemming pants and for this project. I bought it at Walmart. It comes in a few different strengths (for different types of fabric), so it may work for your ribboning projects. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete